Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Operation Wool


I don't find this time incredibly creative.
But it is pretty exciting for me 
as I sift through
bag after bag
of wool. 

I never know exactly the full potential of a fleece until I've through each step. 

And here's each of my steps:
from raw fleece to hand spun yarns.


I bought this unquiely colored New Mexican Churro fleece while visiting Tierra Wools in 
Los Ojos, N.M. back in September
which I then mailed home. 


This week, I finally got around to washing it.
I love my double sinks. 
I'm able to do a whole fleece usually in one day, in batches. 


Here in winter, I dry it above my woodstove. 
In summer, outside on the clothline. 
The wire hangers work well for srapping the wool over. 


At the same time, I've been working on carding up my Maine Island fleece which is a Cheviot cross. And raised by Lee Straw out on Metric Island. 
These are the fleeces that started it all for me;
using just local fleece as the base for my plant dyed hand spun yarns. 


These fleeces are always so clean, and just a pure joy to work with. 
Long soft staple lenths. 
The dreamiest. 


This basket is "yarn in the waiting".

A Maine Icelandic fleece, also very clean, wonderful to work with and is on the wheel right now. 
I got this fleece from Pondview Farm in Limington in exchange for skirting 32 of their fleeces. 

As my handspun business is steadily growing, and now with my first child along the way, I'm moving more towards doing less knitting for the shop. 
I will always knit for myself and my little family. But I've finally realized that knitting for the shop, in the quanity I have been in the past, isn't quite working out. 

I do have a collection coming out this spring of something delicate and plant dyed. 

Below is my latest finished piece, for me. 
So easy and so fun. 
Knit with my own handspun of 100% Maine cashmere from Black Locust Farm and dyed by Bill Huntington at Hope Spinnery. 
I couldn't resist a green cloud of cashmere. 



I have one more fleece to wash. 
A Scottish Black Face fleece from Lilybrook Farm in Hollis.
I just have to card the brown churro, black face, contining spinning the icelandic, island, those other two and by the end I think I'll have about 60 skiens I'm thinking. 
Which I'll then have a field day dyeing in my back yard when the thaw comes. 

2 comments:

Ella said...

I stumbled on to your blog after looking for information about lichen and have to say i am impressed with your natural dyes and your experiments.

Ella said...

You have very nice and informative blog.